Friday, November 2, 2012

Crossing the Fire

The Crossfire series by Sylvia Day consists of two books so far: Bared to You and Reflected in You. In my opinion they are both great books, and when compared to the literary train wreck that is Fifty Shades, the Crossfire Series is the quintessential demonstration of this genre.

[Goodreads - Amazon - B&N]

Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. 

I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

Bared to you: My sister already did a wonderful review on this piece, and you can view that here, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on it as well. And I wanted to do a little compare and contrast with the characters of Fifty Shades. The main character of Bared to You is Eva Tramell. She, unlike miss Anastasia Steele has her shit together. She moved from California to New York City, the place where every young upstart dreams of making it big. And with tenacity and dedication she found herself a productive place in NYC. She was not inexperienced and scared of life like Steele and for that reason, she makes a much better role model for women. She is fearless. 

It has always been a dream of mine to move somewhere foreign and brave the world with my best friend. Eva gets to experience this change with her long time bestie Cary Taylor. Who is amazing and gorgeous and just as emotionally odd as she. I think in life as well as in fiction you need a good sidekick, Cary made the most perfect one. He was her foil but also an iron clad keeper of not only her heart but her sanity. He would be a welcome addition to my life. I think every girl wants a really close guy friend that has their best interests at heart but doesn't want to be repaid sexually for it. It works. 

Now for the star of the show Mr. Gideon Cross. A very wealthy and deliciously attractive businessman. He is the love interest of Eva and I've really never read any two characters that deserved each other more. They both have terribly spotted pasts but their spots are similar enough to blend into a perfect pattern of sequined bliss. His name means destroyer, but all he does is repair Eva in the best way he can. They have their issues like any couple however. He is a sex addicted control freak. But Eva is cut in such a way that his brand of crazy fits right into her mold. Upon reading this book it is extremely easy to get lost in the characters and their lives. I went to sleep dreaming of sparking my own fictional relationship with Mr. Cross. When compared to Mr. Grey from Fifty Shades, Cross is much less crazy. He doesn't want to hurt Eva like Grey wants to do to Ana. And I think that Cross is a much more in depth character. He's just better on paper than Grey could ever be. 



[Goodreads - Amazon - B&N]

Gideon Cross. As beautiful and flawless on the outside as he was damaged and tormented on the inside. 

He was a bright, scorching flame that singed me with the darkest of pleasures. I couldn’t stay away. I didn’t want to. He was my addiction… my every desire… mine.

My past was as violent as his, and I was just as broken. We’d never work. It was too hard, too painful… except when it was perfect. Those moments when the driving hunger and desperate love were the most exquisite insanity.

We were bound by our need. And our passion would take us beyond our limits to the sweetest, sharpest edge of obsession…

Reflected in You: This is the second book in this soon to be trilogy. It picks right up where book one leaves off. It exhibits more of the same reckless sexual behavior that the two seem to be drawn to. It also chronicles more of their rocky misunderstandings and relationship woes.

In this second book it offers an even deeper analysis into these characters that the first book has forced you to care about. And it is much more focused on the reasoning and useful nature of Gideon's controlling nature. The book has an acceptable ending, and frankly I really cannot wait until the next one is out to see what kind of trouble they get into.

I found that with Fifty Shades that the writing was atrocious and simple and I could not focus enough on the characters and plot to care. I think there should be a book where Eva meets Grey and see how that turns out. Of course Day would have to write it because she is obviously a better writer than the author of Fifty Shades, in this reviewers humble opinion anyway.

Have you read this series yet?
If yes, what did you think?
If no, you really need to!

2 comments:

  1. i totally agree , although i love both books , and both characters of christian and Gideon because even though they're kinda similar they have their differences , and each has his own charm , however Gideon's character had so much depth than Christian's , as for the female lead , i absolutely see Eva Tramell as the better one, i mean come on , the way Ana was portrayed as the complete virgin makes the story a bit (a lot) unrealistic and the way she endured all that crap from grey , i get that he was a catch but enough is enough sometimes , which Eva acted on and i loved the fact that the main characters where equally flawed , jealous and possessive and driven by it , which is not the case in 50 shades since grey was the only one set out to be flawed , in addition to that , i loved the crossfire because it showed not only how the main characters interact with each other , but with those who are around them too , and how those people were as flawed as them, makes the story so real , not like christian and Ana who are so wrapped up in each other to even notice other people , i mean come on , that's just not real!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I really enjoyed reading your comment. All that you expressed was pretty much what I was trying to convey in this post. I think the author of Fifty Shades could take a few cues from Ms. Day. I really can't wait until the next one in the series comes out, I'm sure it will be as intriguing as the rest of them.

      Thank you very much for reading!

      --Nika

      Delete

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...