Friday, November 9, 2012

Book Review: Purity by Jackson Pearce

A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.


Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.

My Thoughts:
I thought that this was going to be a easy, simple, happy go lucky read... But it was so much more than that. Shelby really learned a lot about herself and about life. When I first discovered his book I couldn't wait to read it, but I finally got it. And all I have to say is: I really enjoyed the story.

I thought it was gonna be different when they started talking about the ball. I guess I thought that she was going to really hate it and be mean about it, but it really turned out to be a good experience for her and her dad. She really was a great character. And I loved Jonas and Ruby, what great friends she had. It made me smile when they were all together hanging out. It kind of reminded me of some old times.

I really liked the part where she's talking about religion and how she thinks her mother saw it. And how everyone else sees it. And if she thinks it's okay or not to believe. She says that she's jealous of Mona because she has it all figured out, Mona believes in God and has her faith and religion. I thought that was a really important part of the story. I think that's what a lot of people struggle with and I think most will be able to relate to the character.

I see how a lot of people could think that this is going to be a religious story, besides from the part I just talked about, it's not at all. It's really about Shelby going on this adventure with her dad, helping him plan this ball, even though she doesn't really follow all the beliefs that the ball represents. They really get to spend some time together and get to know each other again. Her and her father have only been co-existing since her mother died. She says that they have sort of ignored each other for years.

It's also about her losing her virginity, and that's a big part of it. But it ends up being so much more than that. She ends up finding love and finding what really matters most in life. And ultimately finding herself and figuring out what she wants from life and how she wants to live it. Instead of doing what others would want her to do. And I love her commitment to her mother, with the promises. Normally a teenage girl would say screw the promises, but they really meant something to her and I loved that.

Another thing is- I thought I had it all figured out. I kept thinking to myself: "Oh, this is so predictable, I know exactly what's going to happen." Although it did sort of happen. It wasn't exactly what I thought. Which I liked. I hate being right all the time. I like some surprise. All around it was a good book and a quick read since it's just over 200 pages. I gave it 3 stars, but it would really be 3.5. This was my first read from Jackson Pearce, and I like her writing style. I'll be trying some more of her books soon.



Have you read Purity?
Is it on your tbr list?
What did you think of it?
Leave a comment :)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...